Ever dreamed of leaving your life and starting a new one?
That’s exactly what Evan Ratliff did in August of 2009 in a story for Wired magazine.
Going on the lam takes a lot of preparation. Here’s Evan’s list of essentials for life on the run. Read more about his adventure and check out previously unreleased media in a version he recently built with Creatavist.
• MacBook A lifeline to your old life. Evan used his to keep tabs on his pursuers, to make travel arrangements, and check email. Be sure to cover your tracks with a software program that masks IP addresses, like Tor.
• Internet On The Go Evan used a mobile broadband device from Virgin Mobile—the only company not requiring a background check to sign up.
• Prepaid Phones Only for emergencies. Before leaving California, Evan disabled the battery on his personal cell phone to render it untraceable.
• Anonymous Money Evan used prepaid gifts cards he paid for in cash: MasterCard, Visa, American Express. One that looked like a credit card and had his new name: JD Gatz.
Other Helpful Gadgets:
• 2 iPods
• 7 flash drives
• Camera to document new looks
• Power cords
• Electric hair clipper and mustache dye
• Inverter to charge electronics in a car
• USB cord
• Hands-free cell phone device
• Skype microphone and headset
Sure, it might have been easier for Evan to hunker down Walden Pond-style, but he’ll be the first to tell you that wasn’t the point.